Saturday, November 05, 2011

Believe.

Part 5 of 12 in a series.

JAMES.


The fourth child in the Routley clan was my father, Jim. 


Initially, I thought finding one word to define what he taught me was going to be difficult, since all of who he was is a part of all I have become. But, it really only took me a moment to know the word, because it is the one word I've always shared with my own children. BELIEVE.


Believe in who you can be. Believe in what you want to achieve in life. Believe in making your life better, and the lives of your children better.


My dad believed that all his daughters could achieve anything and be anything they chose to be, he gave us the ability to imagine what those goals in life would be and he gave the financial and emotional support to reach for them. He never wavered from this mantra, even if he had to go without to help us.


In reaching and believing in yourself there was also the lesson of hard-work. And that striving for a better life and believing in yourself didn't come without effort, sweat and sacrifice. That is indeed a lesson I try to carry forward with my children.


Like my father, I believe my children are the most glorious creatures who ever lived. My belief in how amazing they are and their abilities to achieve anything is without limits. They just need to believe in themselves...and work hard, because your dreams are within reach.



No comments: