Saturday, March 12, 2011

Responsibility.

(part 2 of 12 series)

David, Jr.
When you are the oldest in any family, it is almost a given that your role becomes one of parental assistant for your younger siblings. In my dad's family, Uncle Dave was the big brother to 9 brothers and sisters.

As the oldest child in my family, I can relate to that position, the responsibility and the pressure. You don't get to choose your birth order, it is just one of the many cards that is dealt to your life's hand, and it is up to you on how you play it. (According to my siblings, and my cousins I chose to play it bossy. I am sooo misunderstood).

I call it responsibility! 

As the oldest child you have not only lived longer, but you have also heard ALL the lectures, and understand what will probably get your siblings in trouble. You also love your younger siblings unconditionally (most of the time) and share the same hopes and dreams for them as your parents.

Uncle Dave always embraced this responsibility and he worked hard to set an example to his younger siblings. He helped his parents daily with this large, ever growing family. After high school, he served his country. Uncle Dave gave back to the community, helping to build a local church, while working long days and weeks to provide for his family.

He held those same high expectations for all of us, and he always felt it his responsibility to share his disappointment if we let him down. I experienced one of those reprimands, and it still sticks with me today. 

At the time I didn't appreciate it much. I thought he was being a curmudgeon, and he just didn't understand. Maturity and time for reflection eventually changed that feeling. 

I know now that Uncle Dave was just trying to get me to step up to my responsibility as an adult, to understand and appreciate the sacrifices that my father made to help me succeed in life. 

I know now that his gruff demeanor was a cover for a caring man who wanted only the best for all the members of the large family he helped to raise.

No comments: