Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Just Another Day In Paradise!


These are my roots and this is what I love
Cause everybody knows me and I know them
And I believe that's the way we were supposed to live
Wouldn't trade one single day in small town USA
-Justin Moore, Small Town USA



Living in rural Michigan, we are surrounded by dozens of small communities who love to celebrate "special" days or weekends. From July 1 through Labor Day weekend, one is never surprised to find the roads blocked and traffic halted or re-routed to accommodate a parade. 




We celebrate Founders and Heritage Days. We also love our Cherry, Blueberry, Potato, and Sunflower festivals. We worship Hummingbirds, Trout, Lumberjacks and Baby Food, too. Every day we wake up breathing is another day to be thankful!



So, we pull out the horses and the tractors, grab our candy bags and head into town. We wait to wave to our friends and neighbors. We wouldn't trade one single moment of this. 



And after the parade, it is time for truck pulls (I admit, this makes no sense to me, but, I guess it's like weightlifting, only it costs more when you blow up the truck, and that seems like a perfectly good waste of shopping money). But, hey, it makes all these folks happy. 



And at the end of the day, we top it off with a good oldies or country band (in the beer tent, of course) and a fireworks display.





And, most importantly, laughter with old friends. Life is good. 



No comments: