Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mr. Smith goes to Seattle!


FRANCES HENRY SMITH
b. August 31, 1903, Santa Barbara, California

I mentioned earlier this month that I had taken up a new hobby. And I'm glad to say it has been worth EVERY penny. 


This past week I found Mr. Smith (I wonder what his real nickname was? He is so adorable, I've decided to call him Hank) in another antique store in the small town where I work. 


This time I hit the jackpot. Included in the box were other pictures of this little guy's relatives - a great aunt and her family, a great-great uncle and two distant cousins. This wasn't clear to me when I initially purchased them, I was just happy to find SOOO many pictures with names and dates on the back. 


As I started to research lil' Hank, I realized several of the pictures had the last name Smith on the back. Though, Smith is a very common name, I crossed my fingers hoping I had found a family collection. 


In no time, thanks to Ancestry.com (no, I do not work for them...but if I could - I WOULD), Hank's family tree began to emerge. And, almost as quickly, I had made contact with Hank's nephew and Hank's son and daughter. They did not know a picture of him as a baby ever existed.


How wonderful is that? 
I happily mailed the four images to Hank's family. 
He is on his way home to Seattle right now!


This here internet thing is awesome!

No comments: