Friday, June 18, 2010

Speaking of Springfield.



I recently had the opportunity to visit Springfield, Illinois for the second time in my life. The first time was almost 40 years ago, when my father took my sisters and I to visit Abraham Lincoln's home and tomb. A lot has changed since then.

Home to more than 120,000 people, Springfield truly is the land of Lincoln. Community leaders and visionaries have done a remarkable job of not only working to restore their city, but in also dedicating their efforts to teach the true story of Abraham Lincoln and his role in American history. 

The city also boasts of being a home to midwest value. I would agree. Hotel rooms and restaurants are reasonably priced; bus services to historical areas will cost you a whole $1 and when you get to your destination, most are free. 

I've heard the best things in life are free. I think many of them might be in Springfield!



For more images from Springfield, click on the montage below to visit my flickr photostream.


No comments: