Wednesday, May 05, 2010

More than baseball.


There are no words I can say that haven't already been said. The best writers in the world have already penned the most moving eulogies about Ernie Harwell. All I can do is add to the chorus of voices that are honoring him today. 

During my childhood, Harwell was THE VOICE of Tiger baseball.  The power of his storytelling was so vivid, that I can still see Cash rounding third and heading for home. And, I still THINK I SAW Bill Freehan hit that grand slam home run in the bottom of the 9th against the Red Sox. 
A few years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Harwell during what had to be one of thousands of stops on a BCBS of Michigan campaign. I found him to be as engaging and spirited in person as he was on the air. 
Harwell truly enjoyed talking to everyone. This man, who had seen Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth play, witnessed "the shot heard around the world", and hung with baseball royalty, was unpretentious and down to earth. He practiced what he preached, "To do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God."
While baseball was my introduction to the wonderful man, my admiration for Harwell goes beyond the press box and the ball diamond. To me, he represented all the good characteristics human beings are capable of: passion, courage, humility, optimism, perseverance and humor. 

For, lo, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of the singing of birds is come,
And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
-Song of Solomon 2:11,12

No comments: