Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Junkyard Blues.



On a recent trip back from Iron Mountain, I discovered this trio along Highway 2 in Rapid River. I did not notice any signs, street numbers or anything on the building. But there were all of these wonderful sculptures around it.


It also was an early Sunday morning, and the only sign of life was people like me passing through. So, I had no one to ask all the questions that were swimming around in my head: What is the name of this shop? Who is the artist? Why the middle of nowhere? Etc. 
But then I remembered this wonderful invention called the Internet.


When I got home, I downloaded my images and started searching.  Questions answered.
The name of the shop?: AdhocWORKshop
Who is the artist?: Ritch Branstrom
Why the middle of nowhere?: Because like all good SE Michiganders, he and his family have been coming to the UP since the 60s.


There actually has been quite a bit written about his work, and he has a very creative and informative website. Check out "How It Started". The pictures alone tell the story. 
And for a chuckle, you can Build Your Own Beer Can Fish. Only in Michigan!


For the rest of his story, I'll let those who have actually had the pleasure of meeting him tell you more.






No comments: